Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 13 - Shouldn't complain...

Wrapping my my first two weeks of Topical Steroid Withdrawal (TSW). May 15th was my official last day of using any topical steroids on my body (arms and face were the last to get them).  After my first go-around with this in 2011, I shouldn't complain about how I'm doing this time.

Two years ago I though that by cutting all the sugar out of my diet that my body rebelled and broke out with rash. It was the stopping of the TS at the same that that caused the rash. Probably made it worse by the sudden diet change, but that's all history. At the 2nd week in 2011 I was pretty much non-functional. I remember on the 4th of July sitting in the kitchen while my family was off to a parade. I couldn't even think of going out in public due to my eyes being almost swollen shut and puffy face. It was horrible.

Today is Tuesday, May 28, 2013, the day after Memorial Day and the first official whole day off due to TSW symptoms. I took one more day to get my eyes rested before going back to work. Compared to two years ago, the symptoms are similar but so far have been more mild.

One odd note is that last Thursday I took some Benadryl to help sleep. By Saturday morning my fingers were raw again. Not sure if there was a connection, but I haven't taken any other medications since starting this process. Today, three days later, my fingers are healed over again. Thought that was interesting.

Let's talk about sleep. For the past two nights I've slept on the couch, which has a recliner built-in. The back of my knees are raw and oozing so it's been easier to sleep sitting up and extending the legs with air below them. It also easier for me to toss and turn without disturbing my wife. I'm at a stage where I'm cold due to my blood vessels dilating (hence the red skin) and radiating my body heat out. Putting on a blanket is great, but due to the radiating of heat you start to sweat! Ugh... it's terrible. I forgot how much of an adventure sleep was in back in 2011.

My legs jump while I'm trying to get to sleep. It's odd how I had the exact problem in 2011. You'll lay there and feel yourself drifting off and, pow... one of your legs jumps, like a big twitch. I think this gets back to your nervous system being out of whack along with your adrenal glands.

Yesterday morning I got on the treadmill for the first time since starting this process. Did two miles of a brisk walk in about 30 minutes. I had done P90X about three times prior to starting the GAPS diet in mid-April, but I stopped all exercise due to the limited intake of calories. The purpose now is to get my lymph nodes moving. If what I read is true, my lymph system is probably sluggish and my adrenal glands fatigued after supplying so much artificial cortisone. Time to get things moving again. Today, I jumped rope for about 5 minutes and then did 15 mins of walking on the treadmill (1 mile). I'm physically fit, but low on weight. At 6' tall I'm currently at about 147 lbs.

Supplements that I'm continuing to take from my diet and lifestyle changes from the last two years include a multi-vitamin and probiotic from Garden of Life and I though in a super vitamin-B complex that has 500% of the RDA. I am now including some limited breads and some cheese in my diet. I need to up my calorie intake to get some weight back on. I won't be adding any caffeine or sugars and plan to stay away from alcohol for a while. My adrenal glands need all the help they can get.



No comments:

Post a Comment